TorchLight has long been an innovator in recognizing and developing the innate skills and talents of volunteers ‐ those with a desire to give back to their community and provide compassionate support to others. Through our interactions with our volunteers we have come to know that their authenticity of purpose and unmitigated altruism is unique and therefore the very backbone of our agency.
- expert training in active listening and compassionate reflection;
- enhancing knowledge of community resources;
- developing skill in assessing levels of distress;
- increasing ability to provide respectful and professional intervention when required;
- heightening understanding of the needs of the caller while avoiding being directive and intrusive;
- offering a platform to practice the skill of solution‐focused conversations;
- emphasizing the benefits and value of a strong team approach;
- reinforcing the importance and responsibility of follow‐ through of shift assignments.
Our volunteers come to their commitment to serve from all walks of life and all forms of personal lived experiences. With great respect for the gifts and talents each volunteer brings, TorchLight seeks to instill the qualities of true leadership, and to develop a sense that each volunteer has a unique opportunity to be recognized and valued.
Our New & Improved Training Track
TorchLight Training Team, collaborated with Lifeworks Coaching Consultant, Belinda Deenik, to design and implement a new and improved volunteer training track that resulted in an exciting and innovative approach with new clarity and focus for our volunteers in training.
The new 24 hour/3 day training track has been streamlined and honed to deliver the most effective and efficient use of the volunteers’ and trainers’ classroom experience. Through shadowing our experienced volunteers, new trainees learn through example. With ongoing coaching, the volunteer’s skill set and expertise are honed and nurtured.
It is the objective of TorchLight to develop leaders with purpose, values and integrity; leaders who will help build an enduring organization and provide a quality of service that is person‐based and results in long‐term value.Volunteer Screening Process